How Can EMR/EHR Automation Offer Plethora of Benefits to Your Healthcare Organization
EHR was established to assist physicians and healthcare organizations in providing high-quality care to patients while also ensuring their safety.
The digital form of a patient’s clinical report is referred to as EMR (Electronic Medical Records). An EMR records a person’s medical and treatment history. They are preferable than paper records because they keep health information electronically. They can also be viewed at any time and from any location.
“According to a national electronic health records survey conducted in 2020, 89 percent of physicians are using an EHR or EMR system.”
Before we delve into the future on what it holds for EHR EMR in the field of automation, let’s have a look at some relevant data.
- Bookings via phone contribute to 88 percent of physician appointments.
- Almost 66 percent of people utilize the internet look for solutions to their medical problems.
- According to a Stanford Medicine survey, almost 59 percent of physicians think current systems need to be significantly changed.
- Healthcare is the focus of 5 percent of all Google searches.
EHR EMR automation is a technique in which time-consuming and monotonous tasks are automated with minimal human intervention. EHR EMR automation offers the below benefits:
- The burdens of performing repetitive and tedious activities are alleviated.
- As the burden of physicians is reduced, physicians can communicate more effectively to the patients.
- EHR EMR automation facilitates better decision-making based on the records.
- Patients can receive enhanced treatment since physicians can make effective decisions based on the record.
- EHR EMR automation can make patient reporting effortless.
- EHR EMR automation decreases the expense of medical treatment.
- EHR EMR automation prevents revenue loss due to unbilled issues by evading accidental errors and omissions.
- EHR EMR automation can reduce the burden of data entry.
- EHR EMR automation offers lots of time to concentrate on patient care.
- EHR EMR automation accelerates interoperability and value for the EHRs/EMRs by integrating with significant developments such as AI, RPA, and Clinical Decision Support (CDS).
How Can Workflow Automation Achieved
The future of EHR is promising when amalgamated with digital technologies. It offers enhanced patient care and a facile process for physicians and medical organizations. The processes where automation plays a pivotal role to reap the best benefits of EHRs/EMRs are as follows:
Maintaining EHR Systems
Due to lack of automation in the EHRs of a hospital, there is a risk of misdiagnosis and mismanagement of data in hospitals with increasing incidences of human errors inputting inaccurate information into the systems.
Automation eliminates the flaws in the medical labs and HER in your hospital. By integrating with a cloud network, automation software can help in uploading test results to an EHR system. This facilitates physicians in comprehending and treating a patient’s medical condition.
Admission and Discharge of Patients
Approval steps can be performed and completed in real-time with the use of automation. A physician can utilize a mobile application to approve requests quickly, such as patient discharge.
Automation can help speed up the admissions process by assisting with a more effective workflow. The automation ensures that the responsibilities of all departments are coordinated efficiently without anyone left behind.
Help Desk Response Time
The other technology will perform at their best and will not be hampered in an emergency of the operations and functions in your organization is automated. Automation enhances treatment efficiency by allowing physicians to concentrate more on patient care rather than wasting time checking for appropriate equipment in case of an emergency.
Automation can save lots of time by categorizing and prioritizing issues by sending notifications in case of an emergency.
Increase Clinical Productivity
Automation can assist physicians and nurses by facilitating shift assignments, allowing them to rest in-between. EHR EMR automation offers numerous tools for generating a schedule with higher precision and efficiency. By incorporating your scheduling software with workflow management software, you can swiftly acquire schedule approvals and notify your workforce.
Employing automated systems accelerates the hiring and onboarding process quicker than ever. Since, everything is automated, your new employees only have to fill out one form instead of several forms at different times.
EHRs and EMRs Benefits of Automation
- Rapid information retrieval and data access
- Advancements in the quality of patient treatment
- Improved patient engagement
- Efficient revenue cycle management
- Early diagnosis of diseases
- Predictability of outcomes has strengthened
- Work quality has improved
- There is no possibility of patient data being manipulated.
Future of EHRs/EMRs
“Every year, the healthcare business invests about $2.1 billion on automation to eliminate the poor performance of error-prone operations focusing only on data administration.”
Robotic Process Automation
RPA can eliminate inefficiencies by automating complicated procedures. RPA can effectively handle front-office tasks in a sequential manner.
RPA in EHR EMR automation has numerous benefits, which are listed below:
- The revolutionary power of data structuring
- Personnel optimization
- Automated accuracy
- Documenting audit procedures
- Provider supply chain
Patients and healthcare providers can be effectively and seamlessly integrated by employing AI in EHR automation. Leveraging AI and machine learning can solve interoperability and clinical documentation problems.
AI-powered image interpretation algorithms extract health-related insights and drive real-time action based on them. Voice-based instructions could be used in EHR solutions with an AI component to document the patient’s ailments, diagnosis, and treatments incompatible formats.
By safeguarding the future of EHRs and EMRs, an organization can secure patient safety in this automation era. The wellbeing of your medical practice finally depends on how effectively you can implement EHR EMR automation and reap the benefits by integrating it with Artificial Intelligence or Robotic Process Automation for better performance and enhanced results.